George Washington Middle School is strongly committed to building children’s social, emotional and academic competencies. The Guidance Department is an integral part of this community that fosters respect, responsibility and caring through instructional programs, activities and a partnership between parents, administrators, teachers and the community in raising children.
The Guidance Department provides counseling services individually and in groups to assist all children in exploring and understanding themselves. Counseling can focus on academics, personal problems, peer relationships, authority conflicts, critical social problems, and family situations. The goal is to help children build social, emotional and academic competencies.
Guidance services are provided for all students within each grade level. One counselor is assigned to a grade level and remains with his/her counselors for all three years at GWMS. This structure provides an efficient and effective communication and monitoring system designed to support students, parents and school personnel.
Informational services are a vital part of the guidance program. The goal of this service is to provide pertinent information to students and to stimulate students to appraise ideas and opportunities. Information is provided to students and parents in the social, academic, emotional, personal and recreational areas.
Counselors assist all students in program selections that best suit their goals, needs and abilities. Placement in varied programs and courses requires a coordinated effort among school personnel, parents and students. Counselors provide frequent reevaluation and follow-up to placement decisions.
Guidance Department Contacts
Gabrielle D’Andrea (Guidance Secretary)
Business: 201-670-2790 x40533
Mr. David Pfeiffer (Monroe Guidance Counselor)
Business: 201-670-2790 X40556
Mr. Kevin Feeley (Crisis Intervention Counselor)
Business: 201-670-2782 x40305
Crisis Intervention Counselor
Mr. Michael Mullin (Godwin Guidance Counselor)
Business: 201-670-2790 X40557
Guidance Counselor - Godwin house
Guidance Department Announcements
There will be a Parent Orientation meeting on THURSDAY, JANUARY 12th at 7:30 p.m. in the Campus Center at RHS. The RHS counselors and Assistant Principal, Mr. Nyhuis, will be discussing the transition to RHS and providing information about courses for Freshmen.
Please make every effort to attend to find out more about RHS and ask any questions you may have about Freshman year.
Dave Pfeiffer & Mike Mullin
Please be advised that updated Lease/Rental information must be sent to Guidance so we can adjust our records.
If you have moved you must bring your new Deed/Lease/Rental Agreement along with one utility bill to Guidance.
Should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.
201-670-2790 ext. 40533
APPLYING FOR PRIVATE SCHOOLS
Dear 8th Grade Parents,
It is that time of year that Open Houses will take place in October for Private High Schools.
We ask that you follow the instructions below for requesting any information in association with the application process:
GWMS GUIDELINES FOR APPLYING TO PRIVATE SCHOOLS
TRANSCRIPT REQUEST INSTRUCTIONS:
HOW TO ASK TEACHERS FOR RECOMMENDATIONS:
- Go the the Important Guidance Information section below
- Download Transcript Request Form
- Complete form for as many schools you are applying
- Bring Form and check in the appropriate amount to Guidance
- Student must personally ask teachers for the recommendation
- Student must provide their teacher one month advance notice before recommendation deadline
- Student must supply teacher with a stamped envelope. It must be addressed appropriate per private school directions for recommendations
- Student must fill out ALL STUDENT SECTIONS
- Student must provide teacher with outline of student bio, if appropriate
- Student should limit the number of recommendation requests to staff. It is VERY time consuming for teachers and administrators to fill out recommendations, and this should be taken into consideration.
- PLEASE ONLY REQUST RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THOSE SCHOOLS YOU ARE SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING ATTENDING.
Any question? Please contact the Guidance Office at GWMS